International Telecommunication Union (ITU)
The International Telecommunication Union (ITU), originally the International Telegraph Union, is a specialized agency of the United Nations that is responsible for issues that concern communication and information technologies. It is the second oldest international organization after the Rhine Navigation Commission (1815). India has been selected as a Member of the International Telecommunications Union (ITU) Council for another 4-year term (2019-2022).
||17 May 1865
||United Nations Economic and Social Council
Objectives of ITU:
- Shared global use of the radio spectrum,
- Helps in the development and coordination of worldwide technical standards.
- Works to improve telecommunication infrastructure in the developing world
- Promotes international cooperation in assigning satellite orbits,
ITU's focus area:
- The areas of broadband Internet,
- Latest-generation wireless technologies,
- Aeronautical and maritime navigation,
- Radio astronomy,
- Satellite-based meteorology,
- Convergence in fixed-mobile phone,
- Internet access,
- Data, voice and TV broadcasting,
- Next-generation networks.
||The Plenipotentiary Conference is the supreme organ of the ITU. It is composed of all 193 ITU Members and meets every four years. The Conference determines the policies, direction and activities of the Union, even elects the members of other ITU organs.
||While the Plenipotentiary Conference is the Union's main decision-making body, the ITU Council acts as the Unionís governing body in the interval between Plenipotentiary Conferences. It meets every year. It is composed of 48 members and works to ensure the smooth operation of the Union, as well as to consider broad telecommunication policy issues.
||The mission of the Secretariat is to provide high-quality and efficient services to the membership of the Union. It is tasked with the administrative and budgetary planning of the Union, as well as with monitoring compliance with ITU regulations.
||The Secretariat is presided by a Secretary-General