UPSC Psychology Optional Syllabus 2020
UPSC Psychology Syllabus 2020
Check out the latest UPSC mains Psychology Syllabus 2020. Psychology subject is one of the optional papers in the UPSC IAS Mains Exam. Earlier we’ve provided UPSC Mains Syllabus, Now we are providing UPSC Mains Optional Subject Syllabus of Psychology Paper.
There is only “ONE” optional subject to choose from the list of optional subjects which are given below. It comprises of two papers each of 250 marks. So, the optional paper has a total 500 marks. In UPSC Civil Services Mains Exam Psychology is one of the Optional Subjects and consists of 2 papers. Each paper is of 250 marks with a total of 500 marks. Find below the UPSC Psychology syllabus Optional Subject.
UPSC Mains Psychology Paper 1 Syllabus
- Phychology as a science - Origin of experimental psychology (Wundt and James). Methods of Psychology, Pure and applied aspects of Psychology)
- Nervous system, Neurone and nerve impulses, Central and autonomic nervous system, Endocrine system.
- Sensory Processes - Visual sense, Auditory sense, Other senses.
- Perceptual process, Perceptual constancies, Organization and perception, colour and form perception, Depth and movement perception, Role of experience in perception.
- States of consciousness, Varieties of waking States, Sleeping and dreaming, Hypnotic and drug induced States.
- Conditioning and learning, Classical conditioning, Operate conditioning, Principles of reinforcement, Phenomena of extinction, discrimination and generalisation.
- Multiple response learning, Cognitive learning, Learning by modelling.
- Verbal learning and memory, Input term memory, Long term memory, Forgetting.
- Nature of motivation, Basic motives and their correlates, Hunger, thrust and sex, psychological changes in emotion. Theories of emotion (James-Lenge, Cannon-Bard)
- Thinking and problem solving, Cannon formation, Language and thinking, set as a factor in problem solving.
- Frustration, Reactions to frustration, defence mechanisms. Defence mechanisms and adjustment.
- Nature of attitudes, Development of attitudes. Attitude changes. Measurement of attitude.
UPSC Mains Psychology Paper 2 Syllabus
- Basic concepts of phychophysics, Absolute and differential thresholds, Phychophysical methods of limit, constant stimuli, average error, equal appearing interval and paired comparison. Weber - Fachner law.
- Nature of human intelligence, Individual and group difference in intelligence, Tests of intelligence and aptitudes identification of creativity.
- Meaning of personality, Type and trait approaches, Personality assessment.
- Theories of personality, Murray, Freud, Lewin and Pogers.
- Growth and development through childhood and adolescence. Physical growth and motor development. Mental growth and development.
- Behaviour disorder. Phychoneuroes. Psychoses. Psychosomatic and personality disorders, Phychotheraphy and mental hygiene.
- Clinical psychology, Psychoanalytic, client - centered group and behaviour therapies.
- Social perception, Nature of person perception, Social interaction. Power processed and structures. Norms and conformity.
- Psychology in industry. Work environment. Industrial fatigue. Personnel selection. Organization Climate. Organizational Leadership. Job analysis and job evaluation.
- Schools of psychology - Behaviourism. Psychoanalysis and Gestalt psychology.
- Basic scales of measurement. Steps in test construction and standardisation. Item construction and analysis. Reliability, validity and norms.
- Elementary statistics Frequency distribution and graphic representation. Measures of central tendency, measures of variability. Cumulative distributions and percentilies, Normal Probability curve.